Skip to main content

Video Games VS the Brain

A study was released this week that demonstrates that prolonged video game-play affects the brain.
Professor Akio Mori, of Nihon University's College of Humanities and Sciences in Japan, measured the brain activity 240 subjects aged between 6 and 29. Mori measured beta waves, which indicate activity in the prefrontal lobe, and alpha waves, which often appear when the brain is resting. The prefrontal lobe is thought to be the centre of emotion and creativity in the brain. Mori divided the brain activity of participants into four categories: normal, visual, half-video game, and video game.
Normal subjects, who rarely played video games, were found to have much stronger beta waves than alpha waves. Little change was seen while these subjects did play video games.
The half-video game group, which played video games for 1-3 hours 3-4 days a week, had roughly equal strength beta and alpha waves when not playing video games; but when they did play video games their beta waves fell below their alpha waves.
The video game group, which played video games for 2-7 hours daily, showed nearly zero beta activity all the time, even when they were not playing video games. This means there was little to no activity in their prefrontal lobes. These subjects reported being easily angered, having difficulty concentrating, and having trouble socializing.
The visual group, comprised of people who largely engage in visual stimulation such as television, was found to easily develop symptoms similar to the video game group.
Mori says that the only active areas in the brain during video game play are the sight and motion areas. He notes that the video games he observed “stir up tension and a feeling of fear,” and that “this could have an effect on the autonomic nerves.” Mori's advice is: “During childhood, playing outside with friends, not video games, is the best option.” The study will be presented here in the U.S. in the fall at a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience.

Does playing video games have negative effects on the brain and behaviour? On this issue, the jury is essentially unanimous: intensive play of high-action games has been shown to have negative cognitive effects. Merzenich references studies that indicate such games can create “listlessness and discontent in slower-paced and less stimulating academic, work or social environments.” Research has drawn connections between playing more violent games and an increase in more aggressive thoughts. Games with anti-social or violent content “have been shown to reduce empathy, to reduce stress associated with observing or initiating anti-social actions, and to increase confrontational and disruptive behaviours in the real world.”

After my research I have concluded that video games change the way we think, whether it be desensitizing us violence, or pretending that we are getting a work out.
Just like with drinking, there is a 'healthy amount' however after 1-3 hours 2-3 times per week it begins to change and stop parts of our brains. Why would be subject ourselves to this? Changing our brain matter. I see this as terrifying. 
I have witnessed first hand what it's like when someone is addicted to video games, I have felt the heart break when a game is more important, and I have been a victim of desensitized to violence. Make no mistake where I stand on this matter, any addiction is destructive to relationships, in work places, and for personal growth. 
We need to try and make this world a better place, not adapted to the media and do what they say is good to do. This day and age, there is more mental problems than ever before. Why do you think that is? It's because people don't fully use all their mind like they needed to even 20 years ago. WE plop our children in front of a TV and call it good. We get them to play Wii and that's a work out. We allow them to stay inside away from nature, sports, physical activity, and socialization which all are proved to help development in those areas. Video games come in and take away all the good development that we should be having. 
There is no age when one is immune. There is no time we can't fall into this weakness. Each of our brains WILL change when exposed to video games and/or TV for too long of a time. Use things in moderation. Spend time with people, and make memories. Because that's what matters more than any 'time passer'. If you only had one day left, how would you spend it?
If you answered the same as I'm doing today, (playing a game, watching a movie, being alone, avoiding those you love, not making real life connections) Then I'm sorry, but you are living your life not to the fullest, and that's where regrets come from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your "Thoughts and Prayers" Are Bullshit.

Yes. I said it. I also thoroughly agree with that statement. Here's why. As I've been going through pretty huge and life-changing medical problems, my family has been physically nowhere near me. Granted my intestine decided to swell up in Saskatoon, which isn't convenient for anyone. It's given me so much time to think, in some scary and painful moments. Let me preface this by saying I'm not a religious person,  However from what I know, God, helped those in need, he didn't just pray for the sick,  he visited them, and he served them. Let's imagine that when that blind guy came to he Jesus, Jesus said, "You're in my thoughts and prayers" and then left. That story would have turned out very differently. We all do and say things in our lives almost out of habit. Like think of how many times you've said "Hey how are you?" and not actually listened for the answer. Lots, I know. I do this ALL the time, and I'm working incr

Summing it Up Through Songs

As always I like to sum up the year, month by month.. however that post comes the first day of January. Look for it.  Today, I will sum up the biggest part of my 2013 year through music lyrics of songs that I feel have touched me, inspired me, or reminded me.  Enjoy.  I heard the doctor, but what did he say, I knew I was fine about this time yesterday.- Ben Rector, When a Heart Breaks.  If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone, Carry on. - FUN, Carry On. It's time to defy gravity- Wicked, Defying Gravity  It's the way you do the things you do that make me fall in love with you- Rocket to the Moon, Dakota  It's okay not to be okay, sometimes it's hard to follow your heart. Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising, just be true to who you are- Jessie J, Who you are. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, what doesn't kill you makes you a fighter- Kelly Clarkson, Stronger You can't carry i

To the Moment When I Thought I was Dying

"This might be it." "Breathe." "I know it hurts, but breathe Shay. You need to breathe." For a moment I start to forget how important oxygen is, it’s like my body stops caring about breathing, it hurts too much, and it’s way too much work for the little o2 that’s coming to me. My body starts to comfort itself, things are going tingly, dark, and I’m getting cold. I can feel the laboring slowing down. The pain increases again, my eyes start to close, and my feet are completely numb. I feel a cold tear drip down the side of my face as my world slips into darkness.   "No."   "Wake up."   "This isn’t it for you." "You aren’t going like this."   I force another painful breath in.   "Ouch."   I could go on, and in more detail, however for the sake of my very terrified brain, that's the only piece you'll get from my journal. That came the second night I was